Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Me Lucky Charms

"Hearts, Stars, Horseshoes, Clovers, and Blue Moons" - These lucky charms are not made of marshmallow! 


Charms have a history. We're talking a pre-historic, Dark Ages, ancient Eqyptian and Roman Empire kind of history. I think it's safe to say, charms go way back. Beginning as a way to keep the scary, the bad and the evil away, charms were originally made using shells, clays, woods and bones. Gradually they evolved away from super earthy elements - I'd like to think that was because people began to appreciate the sparkly things in life - And people started using gems, rocks and various metals instead. 


You've gotta love that Miss Cleopatra herself was adorned in said charms, but it was Queen Victoria who brought this trend galloping toward present day and in bracelet form. Shifting gears, the charm itself took on a new meaning. It drifted away from it's superstitious roots and became a sentimental treasure to the wearer; A keepsake.  Queen V donned charms such as portraits and etchings of her family as well as lockets that held sentimental tokens from her life. It was here that the charm bracelet that we know today was born.

Before mine was given to me, I have to admit, I didn't consider a charm bracelet an adult piece of jewelry (sorry folks, it's just the way that I felt) - So imagine my surprise when last year my Mom pulls me aside to present me with a charm bracelet, one that I now treasure, and my eyes began to fill with tears. She had spent hours sifting through antique charms in a small, dimly lit store in Manhattan, and selected each one based on what had occurred in my life over the past year. I was blown away by how much it immediately meant to me, not only the thought behind it, but the sweet memory that each charm represented. Now, I don't necessarily consider my charms to be the kind that bring luck, but I cannot deny that every time I look down at them I feel incredibly lucky to have those precious memories.

**What are your lucky charms? 













3 comments:

  1. interesting and casual.
    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your blog is so exquisite <3 Sarah

    http://somelikeitsimple.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...