Friday, February 24, 2012

Warmest Regards

Remember that pre-Valentine's Day post when I paid a visit to Albertine General? I went there expressly to treat myself to a little something special that I had been pining over for quite some time.
This is that something! 

I saw this ring in one of the cases at Albertine the very first time I visited the store. It's a Regard ring. Comprised of a ruby, an emerald, a garnet, an amethyst, another ruby, & a diamond. It's simple and totally beautiful in my opinion.



Regard rings were popular as engagement rings during the Romantic period.

{side note: It's kind of amazing that there's actually a period of time in history referred to as the Romantic period. I digress}

A ring that spells out how you feel? Completely romantic! You rarely hear the word regard used in that regard anymore. It is, in itself, a reflection of the era's rhetoric - The sophisticated stuff you read in books like Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice; Love stories that transcend time.   My point is, I just know that if Mr. Rochester had whipped out a ring when he proposed to Jane Eyre that it had to have looked something like this.


Needless to say, for me, it was love at first sight in Albertine, but damnit man, every time I would try the ring on it was far too large for any of my fingers. I chalked it up to fate telling me to stay away. However, about a half a dozen visits later, I realized that every time I stopped into the store I would inevitably find myself lingering in front of the regard rings. I'd stare at them longingly until finally asking to see one, secretly hoping that it would no longer be the object of my desire and that our love affair would finally be over, but no.








I'm not sure what it was about February 13th, 2012, but I woke up that morning and said to myself, "I'm doing it. I've coveted this long enough - I must have it." Naturally it didn't fit - but that day I didn't care - "I'll take it!", I said!

And here it is, on my hand, accompanying some Sarah McGuire stackables (also found at Albertine General).
I know I made a big fuss about this ring, but there's something about it - Maybe it's the simplicity of it, maybe it's the romantic history of its existence, or perhaps it's because it makes me think of a love like Mr. Rochester and Jane's. Either way I'll love you forever, regard ring.

2 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I'd love a regard ring :)
    I do like the word/idea regard...somehow a bit more romantic today than the overused word "love".

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'aime les bagues et le bracelet! Superr...!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...